With interest rates rising, saving makes more sense. Fintech startup Accrue Savings flips the script on “buy now, pay later,” encouraging people to save now with a new kind of layaway for the digital–banking era. “I believe that brands have a responsibility to be sustainable and not just push credit down the throats of the public,” says founder and CEO Michael Hershfield. Customers set up a free (FDIC–insured) savings account and make auto–deposits toward a specific purchase goal. (Think: saving up for a couch.) Progress is rewarded with cash given out by participating merchants—currently 35, including brands like SmileDirectClub, Eterneva, and Casper.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science