With interest rates rising, saving makes more sense. Fintech startup Accrue Savings flips the script on “buy now, pay later,” encouraging people to save now with a new kind of layaway for the digital–banking era. “I believe that brands have a responsibility to be sustainable and not just push credit down the throats of the public,” says founder and CEO Michael Hershfield. Customers set up a free (FDIC–insured) savings account and make auto–deposits toward a specific purchase goal. (Think: saving up for a couch.) Progress is rewarded with cash given out by participating merchants—currently 35, including brands like SmileDirectClub, Eterneva, and Casper.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time