This sleek helmet makes an argument that safety and custom-fit comfort can go hand in hand. In April, the Silicon Valley–based brand KAV Sports launched its Portola helmet, boasting that it exceeds U.S. helmet protection standards by 25%. Each helmet is custom-3D-printed—the $320 price tag includes a “fit kit” and a virtual fit session—with a carbon-fiber composite, a low-profile “antimushroom” silhouette, and an impact-efficient honeycomb structure inspired by aerospace engineering. “We founded the company with the mission of saving lives, and recognized very early on that in order to do that, we had to have a product that not only looked better but felt amazing on your head,” KAV Sports CEO Whitman Kwok says.
Buy Now: KAV Portola Helmet
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction