Since that moment, the country has careened from crisis to crisis, including children caged at the border, the impeachment of the President, a possible war with Iran, the COVID-19 pandemic, an economic recession and rising tension connected to police violence. In these turbulent waters, Speaker Pelosi has masterfully captained the ship.
Pelosi is a legendary negotiator. Her work on the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade agreement and the pandemic-relief CARES Act transformed both bills into legislation that works for everyday Americans, not just the wealthy and well-connected. Amid a constitutional crisis, she led the way through a historic impeachment in a solemn and sober fashion to reaffirm the long-standing principle that no one is above the law.
With an unyielding focus on results, Speaker Pelosi has brought together an ideologically diverse group of House Democrats to get things done.
Jeffries is a Democratic Congressman from New York and the Democratic caucus chair
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time