In the U.S. the word tomato is pronounced with a long a, like Fonzie delivering his trademark, “Ayyy.” In England, it’s more of an aww sound like the noise you make when watching kitten videos. When English language learners learn the word they pronounce it as “tomayto” or “tomahto”—except for one toddler has devised an entirely new way to say it.
In a video shared on TikTok by user @350snake, a little learner is taught how to pronounce the word. She carefully follows instructions to say “toe-may-toe” and then proudly and confidently delivers the full word—which is definitely not tomato. After the extremely endearing attempt was posted, the little tyke’s impressively incorrect pronunciation has gone viral with over four million views.
Now other TikTok users are getting in on the fun, posting their own videos attempting to be as adorable as the little girl in the original. Over 14,700 people have posted videos as they lip sync along with the tomato pronouncing tutorial ending with their own cute, yet wrong, pronunciation turning the sweet video into the next TikTok trend.
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement