Leave it to Billy Porter to bring a conversation-starting look to the Grammys red carpet. The actor and performer showed up to the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday night in a scene-stealing glittering turquoise suit. But the real show-stopping feature was Porter’s hat: a matching blue headpiece with a curtain of silver fringe that swept aside via remote control for a dramatic reveal.
Naturally, spectators couldn’t help but consider the potential alternative uses for the Pose star‘s look, which provides ultimate privacy to the wearer — and the element of surprise when the lampshade-like fringe parts. In a tweet, Porter noted the outfit was designed by Scott Studenberg, with the hat custom made by Sokol Millinery with mechanical engineering from Sm00th Tech. As usual, he worked with stylist Sam Ratelle.
Porter is no stranger to bringing meaningful, meme-sparking fashion to red carpets; in fact, he’s become a red carpet icon in the last few years, known for everything from tuxedo gowns to costumes emulating the Eygptian sun god Ra. But this one seems particularly well-suited for the internet to turn into a memorable moment — as Porter clearly was after.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve