Viewers of the 77th Annual Golden Globe Awards found it difficult to watch America’s Dad cry while accepting the award. Hanks‘ tearful moment came as he thanked his family for their support, after Charlize Theron presented him with the 2020 Cecil B. DeMille Award.
Hanks choked up, gesturing toward the family’s table, where his children and his wife, Rita Wilson, sat proudly. “A man is blessed with a family sitting down front like that, a wife who is fantastic in every way, who has taught me what love is, five kids who are braver and stronger and wiser than their old man is.”
Hanks blamed the sudden burst of emotion on his cold medicine. Still, watching the man behind Forrest Gump and Captain Phillips start to cry was too much to handle for many Twitter users.
In addition to his honorary award, Hanks was nominated for his supporting role as Mister Rogers in A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving