Natasha Lyonne may have lost out on the award for Lead Actress in a Comedy Series to Fleabag‘s Phoebe Waller-Bridge at the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards, but if there was an Emmy for best clap, she would’ve had it on lock.
After the cameras cut to the Russian Doll star applauding in the audience during Sunday’s awards ceremony, the internet immediately latched on to her unique clapping style. “Natasha Lyonne’s clapping tonight…I will think about nothing else for a week,” one Twitter user reflected.
Lyonne’s distinctive clap reminded some of the seal-like applause technique that Nicole Kidman demonstrated at the 2017 Emmys. “It was really difficult because I had this huge ring on, which was not my own but was absolutely gorgeous and I was terrified of damaging it,” Kidman later explained during a radio interview on KIIS FM.
Lyonne, on the other hand, has yet to offer a reason for her palm-heavy cheering.
See some other reactions to Natasha Lyonne clapping at the 2019 Emmys below.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart