You probably know Lil Nas X as the young rap star behind record-breaking hit song “Old Town Road.” But Lil Nas X recently followed that up with an EP that includes a song called “Panini,” which has quickly become a new fan favorite. And naturally, given the song’s title, it was ripe for some kind of collaboration — with a chef. Thankfully, everyone’s favorite food commentator Gordon Ramsay was up for the job.
Thanks to a tweet exchange that the pair shared back in June, as well as some lucky timing while both the rapper and the chef were in London at the same time, Lil Nas X was able to drop by Ramsay’s Lucky Cat restaurant in the U.K. for a personal lesson on panini-making. Despite the song’s name, he had never actually made a panini before, he admitted on camera.
Of course, the ever-creative Ramsay wasn’t just going to teach the young rapper the art of making any basic grilled sandwich; he applied his own twists. Instead of regular old sliced bread, they went for a bao bun. The fillings included pastrami, cheese, cabbage slaw and a spicy kimchi spread. After putting together the sandwiches, they slipped them into a panini grill, which does most of the work for this particular culinary confection. The result: a grilled-to-perfection “remix” worthy of Lil Nas X’s “Panini” dreams.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out