Title: Blinding Lights: The Immigrant Paradox
2019 felt like the last normal year. So much happened over the world and yet it seemed that only those news stories packed with bright light, gossip, and fandom were able to reach the masses. From graduating early in 2019, to the start of the pandemic at the end of the year, 2019 was eventful, and as an immigrant I was faced with the constant internal battle of where do I put my focus and energy. Though I was constantly bombarded with information and news, it seemed like the Western and Eastern hemispheres were extremely disconnected and tone deaf to one another.
From watching the realness of life and its hardships through Afghan media, to the shallow celebrity news that seems to always be at the forefront of Western media, I was in a continuous battle to staying in touch with home even if it was on the other side of the globe, but how long can you care before you’re sucked into the blinding lights and lose touch with reality and home…
Year 2019 represented by my struggles and is the first acting piece to this collaboration between @geregamo and his piece for 2119.
Ahmadzai invited “Gamo” to TIMEPieces. Their work is inspired by the year 2019.
- Trump Indicted in Classified Docs Case
- Jason Isbell Is Finding His Purpose
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Why Berberine Is Not 'Nature's Ozempic'
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best Shows to Stream on (HBO) Max
- 9 Ways to Combat Self-Criticism