“Congressman Steve Scalise has been readmitted to the Intensive Care Unit … due to new concerns for infection,” the Medstar Washington Hospital, where Scalise is being treated, announced late Wednesday.
Scalise was shot three weeks ago after a gunman opened fire on a baseball field in Alexandria, Virginia, where he and other GOP lawmakers were practicing for an annual Congressional charity baseball game.
A total of five people, including Scalise, were injured. The 66-year-old gunman, a business owner of Illinois, died in hospital from his injuries after having exchanged fire with law enforcement.
Scalise was shot in his left hip, and the bullet caused some damage to his internal organs. His condition had been upgraded from “serious” to “fair” late last month following surgery.
The hospital said that it will provide a further update on Scalise’s condition on Thursday.
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color