“Congressman Steve Scalise has been readmitted to the Intensive Care Unit … due to new concerns for infection,” the Medstar Washington Hospital, where Scalise is being treated, announced late Wednesday.
Scalise was shot three weeks ago after a gunman opened fire on a baseball field in Alexandria, Virginia, where he and other GOP lawmakers were practicing for an annual Congressional charity baseball game.
A total of five people, including Scalise, were injured. The 66-year-old gunman, a business owner of Illinois, died in hospital from his injuries after having exchanged fire with law enforcement.
Scalise was shot in his left hip, and the bullet caused some damage to his internal organs. His condition had been upgraded from “serious” to “fair” late last month following surgery.
The hospital said that it will provide a further update on Scalise’s condition on Thursday.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- How a Government Shutdown Could Affect You
- The Threat to Louisiana's Drinking Water
- Colleges Get Creative to Boost Mental Health
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time