“I am honored to have Maureen Scalia with us in the gallery tonight,” Trump said. “Her late, great husband, Antonin Scalia, will forever be a symbol of American justice.”
Scalia was also on hand when Trump nominated Judge Neil Gorsuch to replace her husband, who died in February of 2016, and White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer tweeted a photo of her holding hands with Gorsuch after the event.
See a video of Scalia’s moment during Trump’s address to Congress.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science