The moment I knew Ramy Youssef and I would be friends was on a flight. An honestly ancient woman sat next to him, ate boiled eggs, and incessantly asked him for tech help. Ramy in that moment was exactly who he always is: someone effortlessly navigating life’s surreal tensions with kindness, humor, and undeniable charm.
Ramy’s acclaimed work in stand-up, acting, writing, and directing all speak to that. His penchants for mischief and deep love for humanity live side by side, adding up to a worldview that’s uniquely his own. His work makes you laugh. It makes you feel.
My favorite thing about Ramy is that he’s a natural collaborator and caretaker, whether he’s helping friends with their hours and shows or offering them a couch to sleep on. He cares as much about a script as he does about making you laugh until you can’t see straight. He’s a creative force this industry is lucky to have and an amazing friend. And I’m not just saying that because I sometimes sleep on his couch.
Edebiri is an Emmy-nominated actor
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time