What is there to say about the woman who raps, “How can I lose if I’m already chose”? Whatever you or I may think about Ice Spice doesn’t really matter. A higher power has ordained the Bronx native as the heir apparent of hip-pop, and she has no intention of letting go of that tiara. Haters be damned. This year mobs of adoring fans, performances around the globe, viral hit songs, and top-tier co-signs from Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj proved her ascendancy. With lyrics like “I’m thick because I be eating oats,” it’s clear that Ms. Spice is tapped into a higher plane than the rest of us. I once met the famed redhead at a photo shoot. In a room full of stars, she was the baddie I wanted to sit with the most. Consider me a member of the Spice Cabinet, somewhere between paprika and cumin. Ice Spice is the people’s princess … and she knows it.
More from TIME
Ziwe is a writer and comedian, and author of the forthcoming book Black Friend
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time