Rachel Zegler has a reservoir of emotions that she’s able to pull from every time she performs. I first heard her singing during rehearsals for a film, and I thought, Wow, this is a find! I told her that I sh-t a brick when I heard her voice. You just don’t hear voices like that in movies anymore. She’s a triple threat, which is also rare in the industry these days, and witnessing her talent conjures memories from making MGM movie musicals with stars like Deanna Durbin, Jane Powell, and Kathryn Grayson. Rachel’s singing makes me think of silvery tones, and I hope her talent helps bring coloratura voices back to the big screen.
More from TIME
A very important lesson I learned—being Latina in particular, which worked against me so much and for so long—is that you need to have the stuff to withstand all that and still remain a positive person. I know, without a doubt, Rachel has all that and more.
Moreno is an Emmy-, Grammy-, Oscar-, and Tony-winning actor
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time