Title: Future Relics: Yellow Stars
Eight stars with resembling stars along the Walk of Fame are dispersed throughout this vase. Surnames are featured on each star. This piece discusses the role of Asian female representation in Western media. The colour yellow is used to resemble the colour of stars, of skin, of self-image. Future Relics is a series of ten paintings that I have created since 2019 using the iconography of Chinese classical art to express the themes of women, femininity and female sensibility in the 21st century. These paintings are created both digitally and physically. Its physical version is rendered in egg shells.
About the Artist
Red Hong Yi is an artist from Borneo, Malaysia. Known as the artist who ‘paints without a paintbrush’, she creates mixed media installations by reinterpreting everyday materials through the accumulation of objects. By combining traditional craftsmanship and digital technology, she creates work that considers perceptual habits and preconceptions on the chosen objects and subjects, expressing the themes of women, heritage, race, and climate change. Among the materials she has used to create her work are eggshells, chopsticks, teabags, soil, salt, socks, matchsticks and most recently, copper plates and pixels. She currently leads a team of ten artists and designers at Studio Hong Yi in Kuala Lumpur. Her artworks have been presented at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Saatchi Gallery in London, Anchorage Museum in Alaska, and H Queens in Hong Kong.
View on OpenSea here.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out