Have you ever been so hungry that you threatened to eat a Croc? How about a house plant (pot and all), a bar of soap, or a roll of toilet paper? You may find yourself wanting a quick nibble of all of those after watching this video of incredible trompe l’oeil cakes.
In the video, shared by Buzzfeed’s food site, Tasty, cakes masquerade as everything from a pump bottle of lotion to a coconut to an entire platter of barbecued food. The work highlighted in the video is jaw-dropping, and it’s mesmerizing to watch as a knife turns an entire pepperoni pizza into a cake.
The cakes are so lifelike that one clever person on Twitter suggested pranking friends on April 1st by replacing “every single accessory in your friend’s house with a cake replica”.
The beautifully made, hyperrealistic cakes were made by Turkish food artist Tuba Geckil, who shares her work with Red Rose Cakes on Instagram @redrosecake_tubageckil. Her phenomenal work transforming everything from German Chancellor Angela Merkel to a plate of raw chicken to Jan Vermeer’s “Girl With A Pearl Earring” into edible masterpieces has earned her accolades from all corners of the globe.
If you’re looking for a vintage duck phone cake to share at your next party—or, thanks to the pandemic, to eat alone on the couch—there are many talented cake artists out there. That includes, New Jersey cake artist Luke Vincentini who is responsible for edible versions of a can of White Claw, a bag of Doritos, and the aforementioned vintage duck phone, as well as Las Vegas pastry chef Amaury Guichon who made an antique armchair look good enough to eat.
If you want to try making your own, cake artist Sarah Hardy has put together a cake-making tutorial that teaches the art of making a raw turkey that is good enough to eat:
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement