The baboons escape was for a very relatable reason: one was on its way to the Royal Prince Alfred (RPA) hospital for a vasectomy, while the other two were there to help him remain calm, according to The Guardian. While the surgical procedure was intended to allow the baboon to stay with his family “through until old age,” according to a NSW health minister who spoke with The Guardian, the baboons had different plans.
When the transport truck was stopped, they made their escape. Their escape artist routine triggered baboon sightings around the hospital. Bewildered people, unsure what else to do after spotting the primates running wild, called the police, as well as in to a local radio show, much to the amusement of host Ben Fordham who tweeted the escapade.
Twitter users followed along online, tweeting their own updates and comments:
Finally, in a pun-filled tweet, the New South Wales Police confirmed that the “troop of baboons” that had been “going bananas” had been contained so no need to “pry, mate”.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time