Christina Aguilera once asked in the 1998 song Reflection “when will my reflection show?”
And for a cat staring into two mirrors at once, the answer is now.
A photo of a cat presumably stunned by its own distorted reflection in a circular bathroom mirror and a wall mirror simultaneously has recently got all of the likes on Twitter.
Apparently the internet has endless fondness for this photo, and the magical moment was recently rediscovered this week when it really exploded on Twitter. The enduring sensation of a cat is Roscoe, and he is based in Chicago. Owner Katie B. tells TIME she first captured the masterpiece moment, and shared the photo back in August.
“He follows me everywhere and that morning, he was sitting in my sink while I got ready for work like he always does. I looked down and saw him in the mirror and thought it was super funny so I took a picture really quick before he moved!” she told TIME. “Everyone who he meets is his new best friend. He also has a very expressive face and a really fun personality so he makes everyone laugh.”
Perhaps that’s why it feels like the feline belongs to all of us now. Her post of the image has been liked nearly 400,000 times.
The cat looks quite taken aback by the confrontational experience. In the image, the cat wears a special kind of wide-eyed shocked expression. Everyone is bringing an excellent sense of humor to the photo, including one person who imagines the mirrors as “intrusive thoughts” and “inescapable anxiety” staring back at them.
Of course, checking out confused cats checking out themselves in mirrors is a time-honored pastime.
See the cat see itself clearly in two mirrors below.
This cat is of course not the first.
And cat filters are a completely different story, but kind of the same energy.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow