Wheel of Fortunehost Pat Sajak is used to contestants having a way with words—after all that’s the focus of the game show. However, he was taken aback when a recent guest let loose with a torrent of words never before heard on the show.
In a clip from the long-running game show, which was tweeted on Tuesday, as part of his duties as host, Sajak innocuously asked contestant Blair Davis about his family. It’s the game show version of small talk, so what Davis said in response was quite unexpected.
“I’ve been trapped in a loveless marriage for the last 12 years to an old battle-ax named Kim,” Davis said, completely straight faced. While the studio audience laughed, Davis wasn’t done yet. “She cursed my life with three step-children named Star, R.J., and Ryan and I have one rotten grandson.”
While the answer seemed to take Sajak by surprise, he has been doing his job a long time and had a quick retort. “No wonder you came here,” he quipped. “You just wanted to get away from everybody.”
Luckily for Davis and his emotional well-being, his comments were all in jest, which Sajak confirmed. “I know you’re being facetious — one would hope,” the host optimistically suggested and Davis admitted he was just joking. “Absolutely,” Davis told him. “I love ’em like nobody’s business.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com