After the first teaser trailer for the movie hinted that Emperor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) — who seemingly died at the hands of Darth Vader (voiced by James Earl Jones) in Return of the Jedi — will return, a new trailer that debuted at Disney’s annual D23 Conference on Aug. 24 revealed that Rey (Daisy Ridley) will turn to the dark side at some point (even if it’s only in a Force vision).
The final scene of the trailer shows a hooded Rey wielding a red, double-sided lightsaber à la Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace. That’s not a particularly good sign for anyone hoping that Rey sticks to the light. But for fans looking forward to a potential turn to the dark side, it was definitely an exciting moment.
“Please know that i am closed to any inquiries that do not directly relate to Dark Rey and her bomba— double lightsaber for the rest of the day,” one dark side enthusiast tweeted out after watching the trailer.
“GOOD MORNING TO DARK REY AND DARK REY ONLY,” another added in all caps.
See some of the best Dark Rey reactions below.
- Amanda Gorman on the Greatest Lesson She’s Learned This Year
- What Actually Worries U.S. Doctors About Omicron
- Reuniting Families Separated Under Trump Is Expensive. Should the U.S. Government Pay?
- The 10 Best Movies of 2021
- America's Foster Care System Is a Dangerous Place for Trans Teens. Now They're Fighting for Change
- Stressed About Going Back to the Office? Here Are 8 Ways to Make It Easier
- What to Know About Digital World, the Company Funding Trump's New Social Media Platform 'TRUTH Social'