Warning: This post contains spoilers for Game of Thrones season 8.
HBO has officially dashed the hopes of the Game of Thrones fans who wanted an alternate version of the show’s eighth and final season.
While speaking at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Wednesday, HBO programming president Casey Bloys explained that the network never had any intention of caving to the fan petition requesting that HBO hire new writers to do season 8 over — despite the fact that it has been signed by nearly 1.7 million people.
“There are very few downsides to having a hugely popular show,” he said, according to Entertainment Weekly. “One I can think of is when you try to end it, many people have opinions on how to end it. I think that comes with the territory. The petition shows a lot of enthusiasm and passion for the show but it wasn’t something we seriously considered. I can’t imagine another network would.”
But while Game of Thrones‘ fans will never get to see Daenerys’ conquest of Westeros — and subsequent demise — play out any differently, they can at least still look forward to the Game of Thrones prequel that’s in the works.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time