Ahead of Game of Thrones‘ series finale, fans have begun petitioning HBO to create an alternate version of the show’s eighth and final season. The petition, which was started on Change.org, has been signed by more than 1 million people as of Sunday night and requests that HBO hire new writers to do the whole thing over. After all, Lyanna Mormont deserved better.
“[Showrunners] David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have proven themselves to be woefully incompetent writers when they have no source material (i.e. the books) to fall back on,” it reads. “The series deserves a final season that makes sense. Subvert my expectations and make it happen, HBO!”
Unlike the first five seasons, seasons 6-8 have moved beyond the timeline of the published books in George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series (although Martin has said he told Benioff and Weiss the “major points” of his ending early on in the show’s run). But while season 6 episodes like “Battle of the Bastards” and “The Winds of Winter” received some of the show’s highest praise, its ratings have since been on a steady decline.
In fact, this season’s penultimate episode, “The Bells,” received Thrones‘ lowest rating ever on Rotten Tomatoes. The episode — which saw Daenerys go full Mad Queen and unleash a fiery spree of terror on King’s Landing— currently sits at a rotten score of just 47 percent on the aggregate review website.
The Game of Thrones series finale will air Sunday at 9 p.m. EST on HBO.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time