The U.S. Winter team Olympic outfits this year include sets of custom Ralph Lauren suede gloves that have caught the attention of the internet. For good reason: the tan suede stands out against the subdued and traditional red, white and blue of the rest of the athletes’ apparel, and the distinctive fringe detailing and Olympics-specific beading makes them especially eye-catching. So maybe it was no surprise that the U.S. Olympic team gloves fueled plenty of jokes.
But many viewers drew a parallel between the 2018 gloves and one particular classic costume in film history: Jim Carrey’s character Lloyd Christmas in the original 1994 comedy lead many to call them Dumb and Dumber gloves.
Can I buy the Team USA gloves?
Unfortunately, the exact style is already sold out on the Polo Ralph Lauren website. That said, similar styles can be found on eBay and in winter apparel stores; as we’ve seen thanks to Jim Carrey, this is a classic look that’s been around for a while.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart