The U.S. Winter team Olympic outfits this year include sets of custom Ralph Lauren suede gloves that have caught the attention of the internet. For good reason: the tan suede stands out against the subdued and traditional red, white and blue of the rest of the athletes’ apparel, and the distinctive fringe detailing and Olympics-specific beading makes them especially eye-catching. So maybe it was no surprise that the U.S. Olympic team gloves fueled plenty of jokes.
But many viewers drew a parallel between the 2018 gloves and one particular classic costume in film history: Jim Carrey’s character Lloyd Christmas in the original 1994 comedy lead many to call them Dumb and Dumber gloves.
Can I buy the Team USA gloves?
Unfortunately, the exact style is already sold out on the Polo Ralph Lauren website. That said, similar styles can be found on eBay and in winter apparel stores; as we’ve seen thanks to Jim Carrey, this is a classic look that’s been around for a while.
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction