President Donald Trump addressed the deadly mass shooting at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas on Sunday, denouncing it as a “horrible act of evil.”
At least 26 people died and 20 others injured when a gunman opened fire on the church during a Sunday service. The dead ranged in age from 5 to 72 years old.
Speaking from Japan, where the President is on the second day of a 12-day Asia trip, Trump called for unity, appealing to Americans to “join hands” and “stand strong” in the face of adversity.
Read Trump’s full statement below:
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science