After Sasse tweeted a reference to the conspiracy theory that links Cruz’s father to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in response to a user who wrote, “If I were sitting with the son of the guy who killed Kennedy I might do worse than spill some Dr. Pepper,” Cruz supplied a viral joke of his own.
“Full disclosure: I was wearing my ‘Lee Harvey Oswald Was Framed’ t-shirt,” Sasse wrote, prompting Cruz to post a photo of one of the Zodiac Killer’s infamous coded letters. This was a reference to the long-running — but completely unsubstantiated — rumor that Cruz himself is the unidentified serial killer.
The Internet, of course, couldn’t keep it together in the wake of his mock confession. “We had a good run, y’all – the Internet was fun – but it is done now,” one user wrote in reply.
See some of the best responses below.
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?