Katy Perry doesn’t do understated. So for the final act of Sunday night’s stacked roster of live performances, Perry and Nicki Minaj blew up the basketball metaphor on their song “Swish Swish” to epic, larger-than-life proportions.
Starting out standing tall atop a giant, bedazzled basketball and watched over by an oversized human hand, Perry and her cohort of dancers — with nets across their faces — went all-in on the game-time theme of the song off of Perry’s Witness album. (The official music video for the track, also heavy on the basketball, just came out last week.)
Perry eventually descended from her perch thanks to a rope hoist before joining in on the choreography. Minaj, of course, also made an appearance: this time, as a rapping referee of sorts in a black-and-white-striped costume, which was quite a switch-up from her earlier Barbie pink latex get-up.
The two closed out a show filled with eye-catching spectacles: Pink’s career-spanning medley, evening winner Kendrick Lamar’s (literally) fiery opener and Logic and Alessia Cara’s powerful plea for unity among them.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out