Katy Perry’s opening monologue at the 2017 MTV Video Music Awards was filled with jokes. But not many of them landed with the show’s audience.
Perry, who herself landed on stage in a shiny space suit, approached her opening comments as if she were working out a new solid seven, complete with digs at the chaotic state of the world and a joke about Handmaid’s Tale style getting trendy. Though the VMAs host got a few laughs and cheers, people online weren’t having it:
Then again, it takes a while to get new material down.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List