Katy Perry’s opening monologue at the 2017 MTV Video Music Awards was filled with jokes. But not many of them landed with the show’s audience.
Perry, who herself landed on stage in a shiny space suit, approached her opening comments as if she were working out a new solid seven, complete with digs at the chaotic state of the world and a joke about Handmaid’s Tale style getting trendy. Though the VMAs host got a few laughs and cheers, people online weren’t having it:
Then again, it takes a while to get new material down.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction