Katy Perry’s opening monologue at the 2017 MTV Video Music Awards was filled with jokes. But not many of them landed with the show’s audience.
Perry, who herself landed on stage in a shiny space suit, approached her opening comments as if she were working out a new solid seven, complete with digs at the chaotic state of the world and a joke about Handmaid’s Tale style getting trendy. Though the VMAs host got a few laughs and cheers, people online weren’t having it:
Then again, it takes a while to get new material down.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time