For those seeking a way to amp up their sugar rush, Oreo’s new limited edition “Firework” cookies might do the trick handily. The new Oreos, in stores May 8, retain the classic chocolate wafer outside and creme filling, but take things up a notch with rainbow-colored specks in the frosting — and a definitively more exciting tasting experience.
Like Pop Rocks before them, the Firework Oreos start subtle before bursting into play like a party in your molars as you crunch through the cookie. There’s a bit of heat involved, and the feeling of sparkling bits subtly exploding in your mouth lasts long after you’ve masticated the treat into subservience.
The novelty product marks the start of Oreo’s interest in innovating beyond their usual wacky flavor rollouts. This time, they want to crowdsource their next hit — offering up to $500,000 as a prize for the person who comes up with the best concept, which will be put into production. (Creative tastemakers are supposed to submit their ideas on Instagram or Twitter with the #MyOreoCreation #Contest hashtags, in case you’re so inclined to contribute.) Some flavors we’ve noted so far include raspberry danish and “Broadway” (thanks, Tituss Burgess!), but the contest is just getting started.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow