Beauty and the Beast is all the rage right now, so of course James Corden decided the time was ripe to bring the movie to the streets—or rather, to a crosswalk in Los Angeles for an impromptu retelling of the tale as old as time.
In a new skit from his show, Corden taps a crew of extras to rehearse a bare-bones version of the Disney classic. He also manages to get bona fide movie stars Dan Stevens, Luke Evans, and Josh Gad to reprise their roles as the Beast, Gaston, and LeFou, although at first they seem hesitant about the logistics of the show. (Corden himself plays Belle, of course.)
After putting them through their paces in rehearsal, Corden gets the whole team to step out onto the crosswalk in full costume for each of the movie’s big musical numbers, performed replete with choreography, singing, and props during red lights as confused commuters look on. They have to make hasty exits to the sidewalk whenever the light changes.
“I crossed that road, and on the other side was everything I love about theater—and a gas station,” Dan Stevens admits after getting over his fear of acting in the middle of the street. For the full Beauty experience as remixed by Corden and company, however, you’ll want to watch the full video, above.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List