It’s perhaps the most shocking moment in Oscars history, and one that will be screen grabbed and memed for eternity. The stars and creators of La La Land were giving their acceptance speeches for Best Picture when Academy Awards producers came onstage to inform them that there was a mixup: Moonlight had in fact won. The La La Land-ers were shocked, to say the least.
La La Land producer Jordan Horowitz the crowd that Moonlight was the actual winner and said he would be proud to hand the statue to Moonlight director Barry Jenkins. But pictures of the actors and director absorbing the shock of the mistake quickly circulated on social media.
La La Land star Emma Stone began repeating, “Oh my God, oh my God,” as she found out during the acceptance speeches.
Director Damien Chazelle, who had won earlier in the night for best director, was shocked.
Meanwhile a shot snapped of star Ryan Gosling stifling a stunned laugh spoke a thousand words.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time