It’s perhaps the most shocking moment in Oscars history, and one that will be screen grabbed and memed for eternity. The stars and creators of La La Land were giving their acceptance speeches for Best Picture when Academy Awards producers came onstage to inform them that there was a mixup: Moonlight had in fact won. The La La Land-ers were shocked, to say the least.
La La Land producer Jordan Horowitz the crowd that Moonlight was the actual winner and said he would be proud to hand the statue to Moonlight director Barry Jenkins. But pictures of the actors and director absorbing the shock of the mistake quickly circulated on social media.
La La Land star Emma Stone began repeating, “Oh my God, oh my God,” as she found out during the acceptance speeches.
Director Damien Chazelle, who had won earlier in the night for best director, was shocked.
Meanwhile a shot snapped of star Ryan Gosling stifling a stunned laugh spoke a thousand words.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was