It’s perhaps the most shocking moment in Oscars history, and one that will be screen grabbed and memed for eternity. The stars and creators of La La Land were giving their acceptance speeches for Best Picture when Academy Awards producers came onstage to inform them that there was a mixup: Moonlight had in fact won. The La La Land-ers were shocked, to say the least.
La La Land producer Jordan Horowitz the crowd that Moonlight was the actual winner and said he would be proud to hand the statue to Moonlight director Barry Jenkins. But pictures of the actors and director absorbing the shock of the mistake quickly circulated on social media.
La La Land star Emma Stone began repeating, “Oh my God, oh my God,” as she found out during the acceptance speeches.
Director Damien Chazelle, who had won earlier in the night for best director, was shocked.
Meanwhile a shot snapped of star Ryan Gosling stifling a stunned laugh spoke a thousand words.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating