It’s perhaps the most shocking moment in Oscars history, and one that will be screen grabbed and memed for eternity. The stars and creators of La La Land were giving their acceptance speeches for Best Picture when Academy Awards producers came onstage to inform them that there was a mixup: Moonlight had in fact won. The La La Land-ers were shocked, to say the least.
La La Land producer Jordan Horowitz the crowd that Moonlight was the actual winner and said he would be proud to hand the statue to Moonlight director Barry Jenkins. But pictures of the actors and director absorbing the shock of the mistake quickly circulated on social media.
La La Land star Emma Stone began repeating, “Oh my God, oh my God,” as she found out during the acceptance speeches.
Director Damien Chazelle, who had won earlier in the night for best director, was shocked.
Meanwhile a shot snapped of star Ryan Gosling stifling a stunned laugh spoke a thousand words.
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space