The Internet had a field day after the 2017 Oscars ended in a shocking twist—Moonlight won Best Picture, but only after the award was mistakenly given to La La Land.
La La Land was expected to win the award, so the accidental announcement that it had won disappointed but did not shock those viewers who considered Moonlight—a deep, vivid coming-of-age story—the more deserving film. Although initial tweets about La La Land‘s win expressed anger, things changed when it was confirmed that Moonlight had actually won.
Everyone at first was incredibly confused.
Then confusion turned to joy as people realized the mix-up was not a joke.
Then began the political comparisons, as people said they wished the 2016 elections could have turned out like the Oscars.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time