The 143rd year of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, held at Madison Square Garden in New York City, brought all the anticipated fun, competition and barking of years past. More than 3,000 dogs from 204 breeds competed in the club’s weeklong series of events. 2019’s season also introduced two new breeds to the competition—the Nederlandse Kooikerhondje and the Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen, in the sporting and hound groups, respectively. If these names are unfamiliar to you, fear not: From terriers and sheepdogs to cocker spaniels and golden retrievers, your favorite dog was probably represented at this year’s competition.
Dog people. Run, don’t walk. Here are photos of some of the 2019 Westminster Dog Show’s best moments.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science