Duolingo transformed our phones into language-learning devices. Now, with Duolingo ABC, the company is tackling a fresh challenge: childhood literacy. The new app is like an interactive Sesame Street segment that teaches kids the basics of reading with fun and simple lessons. “By taking everything we know about how people learn—and especially what we know about how to keep learners motivated with gamification—we believe we can help make a dent in global illiteracy rates,” says Laura Shih, the company’s senior product manager. —Matthew Gault
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow