Neto’s online dominance is not new. A decade ago, from his family’s humble Rio de Janeiro home, he began creating content for YouTube and quickly found fame, a huge and loyal young audience, and lucrative endorsements. What has changed—radically—is how Neto uses his platform. His early notoriety was generated by standard fare for online adolescents: video games, celebrities and girls. But with the 2018 election of far-right President Jair Bolsonaro and the empowerment of his proto-fascist movement, Neto, risking his brand and safety, repurposed his popularity to become one of Bolsonaro’s most effective opponents.
Neto meets Bolsonaro on the very social-media platforms the President deftly navigated to disseminate false information and gain followers during his election. In May, Neto’s video denouncing fellow influencers who remain silent about Bolsonaro’s authoritarianism was viewed by millions. In July, he detailed how Bolsonaro has been the world’s most destructive leader in the COVID-19 pandemic in a video for the New York Times. The Bolsonaro family has often responded to him on social media, sometimes later deleting their posts.
Neto’s first major involvement in politics, in 2016, was a misguided protest against former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva’s center-left Workers’ Party. His trajectory reflects a vital truth, which I, as a socialist Congressman, emphasize to the left: we should embrace and nourish the ability of humans to grow and evolve rather than writing them off for past transgressions.
When Felipe Neto speaks, millions listen. And his now righteous politicized voice powerfully resonates in a country whose democracy is imperiled.
Miranda is a Brazilian Congressman representing Rio de Janeiro
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022