Two-time world champion Duffy dominated in all three legs of the triathlon—swimming, cycling and running—to pull out the win, coming out on top of Great Britain’s 2020 world champion Georgia Taylor-Brown, who earned silver, and bronze medalist Katie Zaferes of Team USA. Duffy posted an impressive time of 1:55:36 despite challenging weather conditions that delayed the start of the race. Duffy’s win also marked the country’s second-ever Olympic medal. (The previous medal went to Clarence Hill in 1976).
Duffy’s momentous win came in the wake of the Philippines’ Hidilyn Diaz winning her country’s own first-ever gold in the 55-kilogram category of women’s weightlifting. Diaz also set an Olympic record in a close battle that came down to her last lift, hefting a combined weight total of 224 kilograms across two successful attempts.
“I sacrificed a lot. I wasn’t able to be with my mother and father for how many months and years and then of course, training was excruciating,” Diaz said, according to the Philippine Daily Inquirer. “But God had a plan.”
Bermuda began participating in the Olympic Games in 1936, while the Philippines first competed nearly 100 years ago in 1924.
Read more about the Tokyo Olympics:
- Naomi Osaka: ‘It’s O.K. to Not Be O.K.’
- Motherhood Could Have Cost Olympian Allyson Felix. She Wouldn’t Let It
- ‘Unapologetic and Unafraid.’ Sue Bird Stares Down Olympic Glory in Tokyo and Equity Off the Court
- Meet 6 Heroes Who Helped Battle COVID-19 Before Competing in the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics
- Here’s How Many Medals Every Country Has Won at the Tokyo Summer Olympics So Far
- 48 Athletes to Watch at the Tokyo Olympics
- The Olympic Refugee Team Was Created to Offer Hope. Some Athletes Are Running Away From It
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time