In footage that was captured by a wildlife camera set up by environmental conservation organization Peninsula Open Space Trust (POST), a coyote and badger who appear to be palling around can be seen traveling together through a culvert under a Bay Area highway.
Neal Sharma, POST’s wildlife linkages program manager, told CNN that POST believes this is the first time that this type of behavior has been observed in the Bay Area.
“Having that interaction on film and seeing how these two different animals that lead different lives, how they interact, it’s just so exciting,” Sharma said.
The video took off after it was shared on Twitter on Monday by user Russ McSpadden, earning over 771,000 likes and 183,000 retweets as of Friday morning. It even got a shoutout from Captain America himself, Chris Evans.
“I’m choosing to believe that the coyote sounds like Michael J. Fox and the badger sounds like Sam Elliot and they’re best friends on an adventure,” Evans wrote.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.