The writer and comedian Emily Heller couldn’t make it to the red carpet before the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards this year, but still wanted to make her presence felt.
Heller, a writer for HBO’s Barry, which received 17 Emmy nominations, put the decision of what she should (theoretically) wear on the red carpet in the hands of Twitter, posting a series of photos in a green suit so people could edit their dream looks on to her.
“I won’t have time to walk the press line at the Emmys this year, so I’m leaving my red carpet look up to you,” she wrote.
People immediately complied. Some entries included Heller wearing food-themed dresses, including a potato number and an avocado bib.
Lady Gaga’s Ally from A Star Is Born also provided inspiration.
Another entry showed Heller wearing an Emmy itself, while others told her to dress like Robin.
The trippiest, most meta take made use of Heller’s own face.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart