Since the 20-year-old rapper dropped the original version of his hybrid country/rap single in April, there have been enough remixes to keep the song going strong at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for 16 weeks. But on Thursday, Lil Nas X and BTS member RM released a new K-pop-inspired take on “Old Town Road” that has the potential to send the track into very popular territory.
As things stand now, “Old Town Road” has tied the singles record set by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men’s “One Sweet Day” that was first tied in 2017 by Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee and Justin Bieber’s “Despacito.” But with the help of the BTS ARMY, it seems almost certain that “Old Town Road” will secure another week at No. 1 and set a new record.
Dubbed “Seoul Town Road” as a nod to South Korea’s capital, the catchy new reworking features RM rapping fresh new lyrics like, “I got the homis in my bag/Have you heard of that?/Homis made of steel, from Korea, they the be-e-est.”
Since a homi is a Korean hand plow, this line not only works as a reference to the original “homies in the back” lyric, but also plays into the song’s country theme. Pure genius.
Listen to the full “Seoul Town Road” remix below.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List