Since the 20-year-old rapper dropped the original version of his hybrid country/rap single in April, there have been enough remixes to keep the song going strong at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for 16 weeks. But on Thursday, Lil Nas X and BTS member RM released a new K-pop-inspired take on “Old Town Road” that has the potential to send the track into very popular territory.
As things stand now, “Old Town Road” has tied the singles record set by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men’s “One Sweet Day” that was first tied in 2017 by Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee and Justin Bieber’s “Despacito.” But with the help of the BTS ARMY, it seems almost certain that “Old Town Road” will secure another week at No. 1 and set a new record.
Dubbed “Seoul Town Road” as a nod to South Korea’s capital, the catchy new reworking features RM rapping fresh new lyrics like, “I got the homis in my bag/Have you heard of that?/Homis made of steel, from Korea, they the be-e-est.”
Since a homi is a Korean hand plow, this line not only works as a reference to the original “homies in the back” lyric, but also plays into the song’s country theme. Pure genius.
Listen to the full “Seoul Town Road” remix below.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy