Bottle caps of the world, look out. People are coming to kick you off.
There are few things to know about the latest challenge to make the internet rounds, the bottle cap challenge: A pro who kicks for a living originated it, and it’s a pretty challenging challenge to mimic the precise balanced spin and kick move that ideally takes the cap clean off while leaving the bottle standing.
Once the reigning UFC Featherweight champ Max Holloway for whom kicking a target was already in his wheelhouse kicked us off, the artist John Mayer, mixed martial artist Conor McGregor, and the actor Jason Statham soon followed accepting the bottle cap challenge. (Errolson Hugh had challenged Hollowy first after Farabi Davletchin challenged him and so on and so on.) Even Ellie Goulding got into the game.
“Suck it,” she captioned her contribution.
“Passing this on to our guy John Mayer,” Holloway captioned his effort.
The choreography is pretty impressive, but martial art expertise is not a barrier to participation, all bottle cap fighters are welcome too to have a crack too.
Eventually Mariah Carey had everyone beat.
See some of the collective internet’s best attempts at the bottle cap challenge below.
Everyone’s got their own spin on it of course.
Nothing a robot couldn’t pull off.
You could always just twist it off by hand, but that’s less impressive.
Sophie Turner had a take of her own.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List