Warning: This post contains spoilers for Game of Thrones.
“The Last of the Starks,” the fourth Game of Thrones’ episode of season 8 on Sunday night, was filled with so many unintentionally comical moments thanks to all those power moves.
After some Winterfell celebrating and deliberating, the action eventually headed to King’s Landing where just about all the key players were clamoring for a slice of power or at least unacknowledged craving for some personal agency.
As usual, it was bleak central, but even if the story’s far from a laugh riot, the memes are. With the Westerosi in a near-perpetual state of sparring, lusting, or key decision-making, the show still somehow felt like comedy gold on Twitter.
Finding the joke opportunities between the true shockers of the evening like Missandei’s execution and Jamie and Brienne of Tarth sleeping together, people sapped the comedy out of the moments to quickly fire out the memes that spread on the wings of joy.
Don’t worry. Catelyn Stark was right when she said “laughter is poison to fear.”
Here are the most delightful of the bunch in this round-up of the best memes of Game of Thrones season 8 episode 4:
The ‘coffee cup mistake’
Dany and Jon’s awkward moment
Dany and Jon’s intense fireside chat
The Hound and Tormund, buddy comedy edition
Fun Party Brienne
Jamie Lannister and Brienne of Tarth’s moment
Sansa’s chat with The Hound
The Hound and Arya
The Mountain beheading Missandei
Euron Greyjoy killing Rhaegal
Jon and Samwell
The Goodbye for Ghost that never was
Tyrion’s splashy moment
Sansa “keeping” Jon’s not-so-secret secret
All-around great guy Bronn’s deciding not to shoot Jamie Lannister with that crossbow
The Hound in dining hall mode
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now