The “Bartier Cardi” rapper opened the show clutching a baby-shaped blanket, only to reveal a moon man award and introduce Shawn Mendes “In My Blood.” It was the ultimate fakeout for those waiting to see the prodigal child. In so doing, she gave us an unforgettable image of the evening.
After dropping out of the fall leg of Bruno Mars’s 24K Magic World Tour to give herself more time to “recover mentally and physically,” Cardi announced on Instagram that she would return to the stage for one night at this year’s VMAs.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving