As Morocco desperately searched for a stoppage time equalizer to Cristiano Ronaldo’s fourth-minute header during their Wednesday match against Portugal, one player’s actions earned him some ire from World Cup fans.
With time running out, Portugal defender Pepe staged a particularly egregious flop following a tap on the back from Morocco’s Medhi Benatia. The dive quickly sent soccer Twitter into a frenzy as footage of the stunt began making the online rounds.
“Please keep Pepe in your prayers after this assault from Benatia,” the World Cup Goals account jokingly captioned the video.
“Aaaaand the Oscar for best actor goes to Pepe!!” added another user.
Morocco went on to lose the game 1-0, becoming the first team to be eliminated from the international tournament.
See some more reactions to Pepe’s dive below.
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color