TIME’s cover this week is unlike any in the magazine’s 95-year history.
Working with Intel, the cover was made by using 958 of the company’s Shooting Star™ drones to create the iconic TIME logo and red border in midair over California.
Intel’s drones, which you may have seen during the Winter Olympics, appear as dots in the sky and can be pre-programmed to create all manner of recognizable shapes and designs.
TIME Special Report: The Drone Era
Video Still by Drone for TIME
This is also the first TIME cover to feature an image made by a drone. It was captured by a specialized drone used for commercial and film cinematography that recorded the light show from start to finish.
In the video above, watch as the TIME all-drones cover is assembled in midair in just a few minutes.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement