As the debate over the viral “Yanny” vs. “Laurel” clip—where some listeners hear a deep male voice saying “Laurel” and others hear a higher-pitched “Yanny”—rages on, Jimmy Kimmel has a new pronunciation controversy for the Internet to argue over.
During Wednesday’s episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live!, the host began by schooling viewers on how perception shapes our reality.
“Whether you hear ‘Laurel’ or ‘Yanny’ there’s one thing I think we can all agree on—nothing has ever mattered less than this,” he joked. “Everybody has a different take but ultimately, it illustrates that what is real isn’t absolute. What we believe to be true depends on who we are, where we are, how we look at, other individual factors. What’s real to one person might not be real to another person.”
Kimmel then enlisted his sidekick Guillermo to demonstrate this phenomenon by saying what was either the word “Joker” or “Yogurt”—depending on your reality, of course.
Watch the full video below.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.