In the wake of President Donald Trump reportedly ignoring a warning from his advisers not to congratulate Russian President Vladimir Putin on his re-election, Seth Meyers joined the masses in cracking a few jokes about the apparent blunder.
During Wednesday’s episode of Late Night, Meyers took a closer look at Trump’s reported decision to ignore a note in the briefing materials for his Tuesday call with Putin that read, “DO NOT CONGRATULATE,” in all-caps—or as the host called it, “Trump’s native tongue.”
Meyers then went on skewer Trump for saying he expects to meet soon with Putin to discuss the arms race and other matters.
“Not only did Trump ignore the advice, he went 180 degrees in the other direction. They told him not to congratulate Putin and instead he invited Putin to a get-together,” he said. “That’s like if your wife says, ‘Your buddy Carl creeps me out, I don’t want him hanging around here anymore,’ and you say, ‘OK, totally got it, get it, problem solved—asked him to move in with us.'”
Watch the full clip below.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time