While speaking at a fundraiser for the Tricycle Theatre in London on Sunday, Emma Thompson revealed that her acting in one of the movie’s most famous scenes was inspired by misfortune in her own love life.
“That scene where my character is standing by the bed crying is so well known because it’s something everyone’s been through,” she said of the sequence when Karen discovers that her husband (Alan Rickman) is cheating on her, according to The Huffington Post.
Thompson went on to elaborate on her experience with infidelity, referencing the alleged affair that her now-ex husband Kenneth Branagh had with Helena Bonham Carter during their marriage. “I had my heart very badly broken by Ken,” she said. “So I knew what it was like to find the necklace that wasn’t meant for me. Well it wasn’t exactly that, but we’ve all been through it.”
Thompson and Branagh divorced in 1995. She has been married to The Crown’s Greg Wise since 2003.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears