The only thing more joyous than Adam Rippon‘s performance for the men’s free skate during the figure skating team event at the 2018 Winter Olympics was the internet’s delight at watching Rippon’s Olympic debut.
The skater, who made headlines ahead of his arrival in Pyeongchang, South Korea, for critiquing Vice President Mike Pence, finished third in his event, but first in the hearts of Olympic viewers everywhere. Rippon became the top trend worldwide on Twitter following his performance to “Arrival of the Birds/Exodus” by The Cinematic Orchestra and “O” by Coldplay. Interest only intensified after he gave a charming interview where he spoke endearingly about his friendship with Mirai Nagasu, the first American woman to land a triple axel at the Olympics.
Needless to say, the internet was overwhelmed with their affection for Rippon and took to Twitter to share many, many feelings about him and his Olympic debut.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating