After Twitter user Shamus Clancy tweeted out the iconic picture of a World War II sailor kissing a nurse on V-J Day with the caption, “me and your girl on Broad Street,” fellow Philly local Ashley Suder swooped in to offer him an opportunity to reenact the storied moment.
“If you’re looking for a girl to recreate this during the parade I’m here for it,” she replied.
Soon after, a viral photo for the ages was born.
Clancy later shared the entirety of their online interaction alongside the perfectly reproduced shot. “The Philadelphia Eagles Love Story, a three act play,” he wrote.
Due to the controversial history of the older photo—many view the photo as depicting sexual assault—some even saw Clancy and Suder’s recreation as better than the original. “That’s about a thousand times sweeter then the story behind the original photo,” replied user @Brendanekstrom.
See the full exchange below.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022