It’s been a rough week for the Crock-Pot company, thanks to something that went down on the popular tear-jerker drama This Is Us.
In a recent episode of the hit NBC show, now in its second season, flashbacks illuminate the beginnings of a tragic house fire. The culprit? A faulty slow cooker is, in the show’s universe, to blame for sparking the house inferno that led to that mysterious death.
But the Crock-Pot company wants to assure owners that this is a purely fictional scenario — and that its slow cookers are still very much safe to use, despite some show fans suggesting they’re not quite comfortable with their trusty appliances after seeing what went down on This Is Us. “Crock-Pot understands the concerns brought up by last night’s episode of This Is Us, and we too are heartbroken by the latest development in Jack’s storyline,” they generously told the Washington Post in a statement.
They noted that — despite the unfortunate portrayal of their appliance — they’ll be continuing to watch the show, which stars Mandy Moore and Chrissy Metz. And they also expressed hope that NBC would help spread “factual information” about Crock-Pot safety, to offset the current narrative of fiery destruction.
People were expressing concern with joking memes nonetheless.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief