Although some fans were duped by a tweet from a fake Variety account announcing that the gangly Gungan alien would be returning to the galaxy far, far away in Episode VIII, no one involved with the film has made a statement to that effect.
The gag caused an online freak-out among those who believed the news, as Jar Jar is widely considered to be the most disliked Star Wars character of all time. “I love Star Wars but I will protest this movie so godd—n fast,” replied one disgruntled fan.
Jar Jar haters can likely rest easy considering actor Ahmed Best — who played the alien in the prequel trilogy — has stated he will never return to Star Wars. “I think I’ve done my damage,” he told Jamie Stangroom during a 2016 Skype interview. “Yeah. I’m good with where I stand in the Star Wars universe. I don’t need to do that.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at firstname.lastname@example.org